History of Šlapanice
Origin of the name of Šlapanice
Deduced from the old Czech name šlapan – passive form of the verb šlapati (to tread), Šlapanic as a descendant of Šlapán, plural Šlapanice as a village of Šlapán´s people. The oldest mention of Šlapanice states the name of Johannes Plebanus de Zlapanicz. The name is stated in Latin texts as (most frequently) Slapanicz or Lapanicz, in German Schlappanitz, during the Nazi Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia – Lapanz.
Šlapanice, including its administrative part Bedřichovice, is located in the east side of the Brno-Country District directly contacting the Brno-City territory, in its metropolitan area. Šlapanice is a natural starting point to the area of Slavkov´s (Austerlitz) battle field of "The Battle of Three Emperors", also to Žuráň Hill and Mohyla míru (Monument of Peace) on the Pratzen Hill. The area of both territories lies on the transition of two large mountains, younger Carpathians and the Pratzen Highlands easterly and south-easterly as a part of Dyjskosvratecký úval (Dyje-Svratka valley); it is mostly a lowland country of hilly relief with the highest hill Žuráň 286 m (Šlapanice 220 - 230 m), northerly is a conglomeratic natural land formation Líchy ( a valley leading to Bedřichovice) and spurs of the Drahanská Highlands as a southern part of the lime-stone karst region of the Moravský kras ( Pekárna cave). The Říčka brook is an axis of the territory; the territory of the both communities is missing more fluent forest growth – the country can be characterised as a deforested cultural steppe. The climate is relatively favourable; the weather of the territory is warm, slightly dry with mild winter; with prevailing north-west winds. From the hydrological respect, the territory is poor in ground water, from the geological point of view, loess loams, loess and clays are prevailing with a conditionally suitable subsoil.
13 - 18 Century
In the thirteenth century and in early Middle Ages, Šlapanice was a rather rich settlement thanks to its proximity to old trade routes and the town rights which were granted to it later, market, court and capital rights, in particular. As a prebend of capitular scholasteria (now the building of “Okresní Muzeum Brněnska” – District Museum of Brno Region), the Olomouc´s scholastics influenced further fortunes of the community for a long period of time. At that time there existed a church with a rich rectory bound with several houses which, having been devastated several times (by plunderers, wars, fires) was gradually renewed in Gothic and Baroque styles with the last reconstruction taking place in 1983-1991. The mostly feudal-agricultural character of the settlement (later also town) is brought back by many manors (feudal duties); there were seven of them in the fourteenth century, two to four manors owned by the lords of episcopal estate of Chrlice, Sokolnice or Blažovice, episcopal tenure of Šlapanice and two manors belonging to monastery school or scholasteria from the seventeenth century to 1848. Such division lasted until the abolition of serfdom in 1848.
In the beginning of the seventeenth century, Šlapanice lost its importance and wealth though the trade routes were diverted to Brno. War and natural disasters, epidemics and plundering had a share in its stagnation too.
Wars and Natural Disasters
- In 1241, the village of Šlapanice was allegedly burnt down by the Tatars.
- 28th March 1401 - Punitive expedition of the Brno citizens against a rife band of robbers fortified in the Šlapanice´s church. 56 foot-pads were executed; the story is described in Latin in a historically significant document “Passio raptorum” (Kyeszolt).
- 17th May 1430 – Defeat of a part of Hussite army by the Brno citizens near Šlapanice.
- 1449 - Šlapanice burnt down by Ješek from Boskovice and Svojanov, adherent of George of Poděbrady (the Hussite King of Bohemia), during his crusade against the catholic Rajhrad monastery.
- From June 1468 to February 1469, Šlapanice suffered badly when Brno was besieged by Hungarian army of the King Mathias. And again in 1470 by the same army.
- When Brno was twice besieged by the Swedes (1643 - 1645), Šlapanice was plundered (Thirty Years´ War).
- Big fires in 1677, 1733 and especially 1757 (the whole community burnt down).
- 6th April 1742 - Šlapanice was plundered by the army of the Prussian King Friedrich II (Seven Years´ War).
- By the end of 1798 and at the beginning of 1799, the support corps of the Russian Suvorov´s Army lied a camp in Šlapanice and its surroundings.
- 1235 – Latin document of Olomouc chapter house concerning the tithes belonging to Oslavany monastery - mentioned: "John, priest of Šlapanice"
- 1244 - Pope Innocent IV renews dispensation to the aforementioned John
- 1262 and 1269 – Mention of the John’s successor Jindřich (Henry)
- 1306 – Secured the scholasteria finance (Bishop John VI from Olomouc)
- 1361 – News related to the scholasteria again
- 1376 – Margrave Jan Jindřich and his successor Jošt compels the merchants to leave "the old routes in the vicinity of Šlapanice" and to cart their goods through Brno
- 1401 – The gang of Keyzolt the Robber Knight captured by the Brno citizens
- 1557 – The guild of master butchers established with the approval of the Bishop Mark
- 1613 – Construction of a new scholasteria
- 1673 – Mention of the school and the teacher
- From the seventeenth century, Šlapanice was divided into three parts (bishop’s manor belonging to the estate of Chrlice, bishop’s tenure farm called the Old or Lower Farmstead, estate of the Olomouc Scholastic called scholasteria). Such division lasted until the abolition of serfdom.
- 1750 – Construction of a chateau of the Moravian Governor the Prince Blümegen (today a building of the grammar school)
- 1781 – The chateau changed into the monastery of the Ordo Fratrum Minorum Conventualium
- 1747 - 1848 – Inherited village mayor in the family of the Zemans
The oldest data
Based on the archaeological findings, the settlement under the today’s town and its vicinity dates back to the Old Stone Age. Then, Slavic settlement existed in the period of the Great Moravian Empire in the ninth and tenth century (findings in the upper part of today’s Masaryk square near the church) and according to the Christian burial ground from the eleventh century (discovered during the construction of a brick factory “Tondach Krytina”). Archaeological excavations were conducted by: Dr. Josef Stávek (1874 - 1938) and Prof. Josef Poulík (1910 - 1998). According to the first written records in a Latin document of Olomouc chapter house, a community with a church and a rectory existed here in 1235.
Simultaneously with development of industrial Brno, mostly agricultural Šlapanice (peasant agglomeration) enjoys creation of local middle-sized industry, small business, schools, authorities, etc. Šlapanice again becomes a natural catchment area of the region. But majority of the inhabitants – workers, officers, students of higher schools, etc. go to Brno for work (mixed agglomeration). The community plan has three hills: two on the Říčka brook (North, South), the third one (West) on the way to Brno.
Development of the community in numbers:
- 1834 - 175 houses, 1072 inhabitants
- 1861 - 261 houses, 1819 inhabitants
Development of the local industry: Foundations of one of the biggest Brno’s plants, “První brněnská strojírna”, were laid in the original chateau, later the seat of monks (the Ordo Fratrum Minorum Conventualium) in 1814. This building was used for various factory purposes till the end of the nineteenth century (it was the seat of the boy’s school, today the secondary school). From 1871 to 1931 there was a peasant sugar factory in Šlapanice.
Wars and Natural Disasters
- On 18th November 1805 – the Russian General of Infantry, Mikhail Illarionovich Golenishchev - Kutuzov (1745 - 1813), commander in chief of the Russian-Austrian armies in the forthcoming Battle of Three Emperors or the Battle of Austerlitz, came to Šlapanice;
- On 19th November 1805, the marshal Prince John Joseph Liechtenstein (1760 - 1836), commander of the Russian-Austrian cavalry, quartered in the Šlapanice´s rectory;
- On 30th November 1805, the French Marshal Nicolas-Jean de Dieu Soult (1769 - 1851), commander of the most numerous 4th army-corps of Napoleon’s army quartered in the same building;
- On 2nd December 1805, the battle of the allied Russian-Austrian army with numerically inferior but more experienced and more modern victorious French army. The French used the Šlapanice´s scholasteria and former Blümengen chateau, (today’s secondary school building) as a field hospital. After the battle the next morning, about 400 captive Russians were locked in the Šlapanice´s church;
- On the anniversary of the Battle of Austerlitz, a ceremony is held every year in the Šlapanice´s cemetery with the remains of the soldiers killed in the battle. Numerous people interested in the military history from the Czech Republic and abroad traditionally participate in the ceremony.
- On 15th July 1866, the Prussian armies reached Šlapanice (Prussian-Austrian War, 3rd July 1866 – the battle of Hradec Králové)
- 1805 – 2nd December – Battle of Austerlitz, also known as the Battle of Three Emperors
- 1848 – After the abolition of serfdom, all three parts coalesced in one community (1st mayor Josef Zeman)
- 1814 – Foundations laid for “První brněnská strojírna” in Blümegen´s chateau
- 1824 – Luza´s steam engine was constructed here
- 1869 – The Post Office established
- 1871 – Construction of “Rolnický akciový cukrovar” (Peasant joint-stock sugar factory)
- 1887 - Šlapanice connected to the world by railway (Vlárská dráha)
20th Century 1900-1939
Number of houses and inhabitants in the following years
- 1869 - 261 houses, 1819 inhabitants
- 1900 - 472 houses, 2918 inhabitants
- 1911 - 594 houses, 3692 inhabitants
- 1921 - 703 houses, 3866 inhabitants
- 1924 - 763 houses, 4364 inhabitants
- 1934 - 1051 houses, 4420 inhabitants
- 1939 - 1160 houses, 5125 inhabitants
Period of “the First Republic” 1918 - 1938
Having overcome the war sufferings (lack of the essentials of life and building stagnation), the Šlapanice township began gradually but promisingly to develop. Streets extending or surrounding the original rural core (rustic houses with yards and barns at the back-yards), Palackého, Brněnská, Kalvodova and Riegrova streets, in particular, began to be constructed in all directions. Constructed also were the whole quarters (e.g. Jiráskova quarter - Jiráskova, Hybešova and Wurmova streets). It was a workman’s and town architecture characteristic of mostly one- or two-room cottages. Large blocks of flats were constructed towards the end of this period and in a negligible extent; their more extensive construction began after the World War II.
1. 5. 1919 “Linden of Liberty” was planted on the Masaryk square. In 1931, the community suffered from a great flood caused by the unregulated Říčka brook. In spite of the effort of the municipal council, water supply system and public sewer had not been constructed by that time. For a short period of time from 1937, there was a municipal wood-gas and diesel power station in Šlapanice, Dlouhá Str. No. 1157 (150 kVA output) managed by a seven-member board of trustees.
Administrative and other authorities:
- Seat of a municipal authority, post office, parish authority and gendarmerie;
- Health service – two general practitioners, two dentists, pharmacy (1921), centre for child care (1922), two vets
- Education – Besides elementary schools and region lower secondary school, there were also nursery school, Agricultural and Farming School, Advanced Trade School
Šlapanice became a attraction zone for lots of neighbouring villagesand also villages with agricultural character linked to industrial Brno (workers, officers, pupils of secondary schools, etc. - "Brno’s lodging house").
In 1921 more than 1140 ha of arable land, 51 ha of meadows and pastures, more than 14 ha of gardens and 1.3 ha of wood. Till the agrarian reform (1923 - 24 - 26), there were 2 farms (the Mitrovskýs´ family 275 ha, sugar factory 175 ha – gradually sold to small landholders and peasants), 440 ha of land of highly efficient farmers (23 up to 10 ha, 11 up to 10 to 20 ha and only 3 over 20 ha). Besides, there were 20.54 ha of common fields, meadows and pastures, after 1931 additional 31 peasants. Branch of an agriculture cooperative in Slavkov was established in the 1930s and professional winter agricultural school (e.g. 1919 - 39 total 487 graduates of a two-year study).
Middle-sized, rather small business, low number of the workers‘ professions – see above.
At the end of the nineteenth century, 90 shopkeepers and craftsmen, their number increased almost by 100% by 1921, and to 173 various craftsmen after the Crises in 1921 - 1923 - the whole part of facilities of so called tertiary sector. From the end of 1930s, the peasant sugar factory was changed into the works of paper industry – card board of “Schottola company”, later gradually transformed into the following companies: “Dechtochema n. p.”, after the war “Brněnské papírny”, “Šlapanické papírny a. s.”, “Karton Morava a. s.”, “ICEC a. s.”
Establishment and development from the 1870s – branch of the National Agricultural Savings Company in Brno, affiliate branch of the First Brno Savings Company in Brno from 1908, Šlapanice reiffeisen bank, Savings and Loan Society in Šlapanice since 1928.
Communications and transport:
Growth of telephone bases – more than doubled in 1934 to 1940 (from 16 to 33), number of radio concessionaries increased - 1934 to 1940 (from 411 to 973). Besides the railways (cheaper, used more frequently), since 1929 bus transportation Šlapanice - Brno, first private, later (1930) city transport Brno - Slatina - Šlapanice (in 1934, 26 day and night connections).
Physical education and sports organisations, music-theatre activities (“Kosmák”, theatre company of “Sokol” and “Orel”, brass band of bandmaster Antonín Hamr, etc.). Local Decorative Association (care of lawn and planting – common park, 3 small parks, trees and bushes in the streets) – roughly half of ha of gardens per 1 ha of ground coverage, Get-to-know-your-country association "Our Home" (1933), Šlapanice festivals (1933) and Šlapanice newsletter (since 1934) and other activities, especially the Museum of Local History and Art (1934).
War and Natural Disasters
The World War I (1914-1918) in Šlapanice is commemorated by a monument built in the park in Riegrova street, the work of a Brno sculptor, art academy graduate, Joža Kubíček. It displays 83 names of the Šlapanice slain citizens.
- 1911 – Electric lighting system (sugar factory in 1887)
- 1911 – Public call office (sugar factory in 1887)
- 1932 – Šlapanice festivals
- 1937 - 1943 – own power station
20th Century 1939-1945
In the World War II, fifty four of the Šlapanice natives were imprisoned in concentration camps of which thirty three died. Air attacks and front events claimed other lifes of thirty five inhabitants. On 24th April 1945, ninety two of the Red Army soldiers were killed or died from injuries in the liberating fights for the community. More than 25 houses and farm buildings burnt to the ground and 50 of them were badly damaged.
20th Century 1945-1989
After the liberation of our town by the troops of the Red Army and the Rumanian Royal Army, life slowly started to return to its routine. But certain changes happened. Local People’s Committee (MNV) was established instead of the municipal authority headed by the chairman of the township. The first chairman of the Local People’s Committee was elected František Kalous - the member of the Communist Party. Thirty posts in the MNV were divided as follows:
KSČ (Communist Party of the Czech Republic) - 8
ČSL (Czech People’s Party) – 7
ČSSD (Czech Social-Democratic Party) - 7
ČSSN- (Czech Social- National Party) - 7
Non-party - 1
On 1st January 1965 Šlapanice township was awarded the status of a town and later central village managed by the Municipal People’s Committee (MěNV).
Chairmen of MNV (1945 - 1964), MěNV (1965 - 1990)
- 1945 - 46 František Kalous
- 1946 - 48 Josef Kousal
- 1948 - 50 František Nebl
- 1950 - 51 Jindřich Brzobohatý
- 1951 - 64 Jan Staněk
- 1964 - 65 Jan Locker
- 1965 - 76 Rostislav Nohel
- 1976 - 81 Jiří Kotulán
- 1981 - 86 Zdeněk Heger
- 1986 - 90 Jaroslav Klimeš
Immediately after the liberation, the MNV issued its own press “ Šlapanické noviny” replacing, on the one hand, at that time hardly available daily press and, on the other hand, informed the inhabitants about the events of the town. More than forty numbers were issues, some numbers in two or even three lay outs. In October 1945, “Šlapanický zpravodaj” had started to be issued again, then “Šlapanické zprávy” and, after 13 numbers, its issue ceased in 1948.
In 1958, the Popular Educational Organisation with the MNV issued a booklet “Šlapanice 1948 – 58” devoted to the post-war development and building-up of people’s democratic order in Šlapanice of those times. Another book describing the general events was called “Šlapanice - Cesty k dnešku” issued on the 750 anniversary of the first written record of our town. The book was preceded by 11 numbers of the Preparatory Committee Reports. The MěNV issued a bulletin “Ruch šlapanicka” (13 numbers) in 1987 - 89.
War traces were obliterated in Šlapanice in 1948. Nádražní Street was paved and provided with sewer lines, other streets (Riegrova, Ponětovská, Hybešova, Jiráskova, Brněnská, Čechova and the square Svatojánské náměstí) were also provided with sewer lines. Embankments in front of the houses in Brněnská Street were adapted and stone walls with brick piers were built. In 1954, the holes for the trolleybus poles were excavated and the first trolleybus came to Šlapanice on 1st May. More than 2 000 inhabitants were going to Brno for work in those times.
The infrastructure of shops was gradually modernised and extended: grocery in Husova Str. (1963), grocery in Dlouhá Str.(1967), “Lípa” (Lime Tree) shopping centre (1977), “Družba” shopping centre (1984).
Thirteen new residential buidings were built between 1955 - 58. The housing cooperative (later “SBD – Cíl”) was established in 1959. Two blocks of flats (Štefánikova str.) were constructed the same year. The housing estate in Brněnská Str. was constructed in three stages (1962, 1969 and 1972). A new housing estate with “Lípa” shopping centre and nursery school in Havlíčkova Str. (1975 - 76) was built. In the 1970s, a new quarter of family houses “Nad zámkem”, a block of flats in Švehlova Str. and family houses in Jiráskova Str. were constructed.
Gas was installed in 1964 - 96. Water supply system was finished in the second half of 1970s. The stream of the Říčka brook, often overflowing in the past, was regulated and straightened in 1975. The cemetery was extended and a new hall of farewell was built in 1976.
Industry and Employment
Unified farmers´ cooperative “Pokrok”: In 1950, there were eighteen peasants in work, in 1966, the cooperative was granted the Order of Labour, in 1972 it merged with Bedřichovice and in 1974 with Kobylnice and Dvorsky. Title “The Cooperative of 30th anniversary of liberation of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic by the Soviet Army” was awarded to the cooperative in 1975. The cooperative had 462 members in that time.
“Brněnské papírny” (Brno paper works): After the war, “Schottola” company, then “Dehtochema” - manual manufacture of cardboards until 1948, after that it slowly turned to mechanical production of millboard roofing material which lasted until the early 1970s. Since 1965, “Brněnské papírny” – production of cardboard boxes.
After three private brick factories were dissolved (1950), “Cihelny Gustava Klimenta, n. p. Brno” began the construction of a great modern brick factory in a suitable location North-East of the town. Construction in 1983; brick line in 1986; burnt roof-title slate line in 1987. Later “Krytina ZWG Šlapanice, a. s.”, now “Tondach ČR s r.o.”
Other industrial enterprises: “VD – Kovo” (1954), “Drukov” (1957), “Konekta”, in 1981 merger of “Konekta” + “Znak” into “VD Kovo”. Communal Services – established in 1961, one hundred and fifty employees in 1973. Later merged with Pozořice and Tišnov.
Health service: Private surgeries in family houses at first. In 1963 the former rectory on the square was reconstructed and a court wing was built as a health centre for the region. Detached department in Na Zahrádkách Str. (4 health districts, 4 dental surgeries, 2 child guidance rooms, gynecology, emergency - 43 employees).
Social –Cultural Activities:
- Until 1948 - societies, from 1948 – “Místní osvětová rada”, in 1955 renamed to “Osvětová beseda” which became the leader of the societies and organisations associated in “Národní fronta” (National Front).
- In 1948 the following sports clubs “Sokol”, “Orel”, “JPT”, “DTJ”, “SKŠ” were associated. Total 1 200 members were organised in a newly established “TJ Dehtochema”, then “DSO TATRAN” and finally “TJ Sokol”. In the late 1970s, a new administration building was constructed next to the football pitch and a new sports hall in Smetanova Str. in the 1980s. Renovation and formation of tennis courts took place at that time, too.
- 1945 – “ČSČK” (Czechoslovak Red Cross) was established and re-established again in 1948
- 1945 – “Svaz protifašistických bojovníků” (Antifascist Fighters´ Association) - 1948 renamed to “Svaz bojovníků za svobodu” (Freedom Fighters´Association)
- 1946 – Laundry co-operative (200 women)
- 1947 – “SČSP” (Czechoslovak-Soviet Friendship League)- 49 members
- 1950 – “ČSM” (Czechoslovak Youth Organisation)
- 1951 – “Svazarm” (The Union for Co-operation with the Army)
- 1954 – Huntsmen’s society
- 1954 – “LSD” – “Jednota“
- OB Brass Band (earlier “Hamr´s Brass band) won various prizes in competitions in the early 1950s and played at the Brno broadcasting station
- Anonín Marek´s musical ensemble and “PSŠ” (Šlapanice Choral Society)
- “Náš domov” (Our Home) group prepared annually the Šlapanice festivals, except the years 1949-57
- The local museum was provided with new premises in 1949 in the former Scholasteria – and went through expensive reconstruction in 1956. That year, the museum became the Brno-Country District Museum of Local History and Art (“Okresní vlastivědné muzeum Brno-venkov”) which was connected to Ivančice and became a professional museum in 1965
- Former “Sokol” cinema – renovation and conversion from a classical to wide-screen format in 1968
System of Schools
- An old girl’s school and school near park with pavilion Děvín fell short of the number of children and was not suitable. From 1953, lessons were given in an old building of “Orel” sports club with a local library situated there from 1963 as well. From 1956, lessons were given in “Pionýrský dům” (Pioneer’s House) in Tyršova str., in a fire-engine house and children were also going to Ponětovice. Construction of a new school on the square started in the early 1970s. The first lessons were given there in the school year 1979/80. A choral group was established in the Šlapanice school in 1959/60 from which “Kantiléna” arose.
- A nursery school was opened after the war in “Hospodářská škola”, then in a girl’s school on the square. Nursery school with continuous service was opened in 1949 in Nádražní Street opposite to “Sokol” club building. Another nursery school was opened in 1962 again in Nádražní Str. No. 921. Nursery school for the Šlapanice children was established in Ponětovice in 1968, then nursery school Havlíčkova” in 1976 and nursery school Děvín” in Riegrova Str. in 1980. ”LŠU” in 1947, only Musical School was opened first in Riegrova Str., later in the “Orel” club building.
- “Hospodářská škola” (Agricultural school) in Nádražní Str. was re-opened immediately after the war but “Živnostenská škola” (Trade school) was closed during the Nazi Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. “Hospodářská škola” educated pupils in agricultural specialisations until 1976 when it was abolished and its premises were taken by the Regional Pedagogical Institute. In the second half of the 1980s, an additional building with accommodation rooms was built.
- From 1950, youth was grouped, apart from sports and school organisations, in the Czechoslovak Youth Organisation (ČSM) and later the Socialist Youth Organisation (SSM). Pioneer organisation was its part. At the end of the 1960s, Scout, the youth organisation cancelled in 1948, was re-established for a short period of time. Its activity was again stopped in the early 1970s.
- František Hamr (1911 - 80) – innovator
- Antonín Hamr (1907 - 77) – brass band leader
- Zdeněk Dvořáček (1929 - 88) – art academy graduate, painter, (imprisoned in the 1950s)
- Karel Láznička (*1928) – sports champion, he still lives in Šlapanice
- Jan Dvořák (*1924) – chrysanthemum grower, he still lives in Šlapanice
- Stanislav Hanzl (*1919) – art academy graduate, sculptor, designer of the Red Army soldier monument, he lives in Prague
- 1954 – Trolley-bus connection to Brno
- 1964 – Start of gas installation in the town
- 1965 – Town status awarded
- 1965 - "Old" block of flats in Brněnská Str.
- 1972 – Decision taken to construct town water main
- 1976 - "New" block of flats in Brněnská Str.
- 1980 – New building of the elementary school on Masaryk square
- 1985 – “Družba” shopping centre in Nádražní Str.
20th Century 1989-2000
Municipal Authority of Šlapanice implements entrusted agency of 40 villages in North-East and South-East part of the Brno-Country District. Number of inhabitants: 6 215 on 1. 1. 1999; 6 345 on 1. 1. 2000, of which 316 live in Bedřichovice local quarter.
- 1990 - 94: mayor of the town - ing. O. Sedlák, deputy mayor of the town ing. J. Umlášek, 30 members of the board of representatives, 9 members of the council (ing. I. Kouřil; J. Krčma; ing. V. Sobotka, CSc.; H. Staňková; ing. P. Švábenský; ing. Z. Vlkojan; doc. MVDr. J. Zeman).
- 1994 - 98: mayor of the town ing. V. Hrabálek, deputy mayor of the town mgr. L. Konečný, 21 member of the board of representatives, 7 members of the council (E. Hloušek; ing. V. Horák; ing. I. Kouřil; A. Podrážková; ing. V. Sobotka, CSc.).
- 1998 - 2002: mayor of the town ing. V. Horák, deputy mayor of the town ing. V. Sobotka, CSc., 21 member of the board of representatives, 7 members of the council (F. Král; J. Krčma; RNDr. ing. S. Matýšek, CSc.; R. Staněk; J. Štěpánek).
- 1993 – Opening of theGrammar School (“Gymnázium”) in Riegrova Str.
- 1994 – Health centre building in Karla Čapka Str.
- 1994 – Reconstruction of the Municipal Authority building
- 1996 – Cable T.V.
- 1997 – Introduced street numbering of buildings
- 1997 – Main sewer
- 1999 – Reconstruction of Masaryk square
- 1999 – The Šlapanice information T.V. cable channel - “Šlapík“
- 2000 – Bus station in Riegrova Str.
Municipal Authority of Šlapanice is now implementing entrusted agency of 40 towns and villages from North – East and South – East part of Brno Country District. Up to 1st of January 2009 there are 6,641 inhabitants in Šlapanice and Bedřichovice (337). Up to the same date there are 111 foreigners living in Šlapanice and Bedřichovice (9).
Self – government in 2002 – 2006
- Mayor – Jan Střechovský, ing.
- Deputy Mayor – Jana Skácelová, ing.
- Deputy Mayor – Lubomír Konečný, mgr.
- 21 members of the board of representatives, 7 members of council (Pavel Herman, ing., Aleš Charvát, mgr., Jan Buchta, Miroslav Zelinka
Self – government in 2006 – 2010
- Mayor – Jaroslav Klaška, ing. arch.
- 1st Deputy Mayor – Miroslav Mrkvica, ing.
- Deputy Mayor – Pavel Horák.
- 21 members of the board of representatives, 7 members of council (Václav Hrabálek, ing., RNDr. Stanislav Matýšek, CSc., Petr Urík, mgr.) note…. After designation of Václav Hrabálek, ing. as main secretary Petr Horák, ing. was alternated as the member of council.
- 2001 Town Flag Award
- 2002 Opening of Home with Care Service
- 2004 opening of Municipal Office in Opuštěná Street, Brno
- 2005 construction of separate drainage started
- 2005 exposure of French Doctors‘Memorial
- 2006 exchanging of pipeline and transformation from low – pressure to middle-pressure started
- 2007 finishing of main reconstruction of mortuary hall
- 2007 extension of nursery school Zahrádka (gardenett)
- 2007 new sonnet for town broadcast was imparted by composer and musician Josef Klíč
- 2007 construction of two production shop halls in „industrial zone“
- 2008 Fist Town Hall Ball
- 2008 construction of housing estate „Brněnská Pole“(Brno Fields) started
- 2008 Finishing of construction of separate drainage
- 2008 pipeline to Bedřichovice